The Friends of St. John’s is a Secular Society dedicated to the conservation of St. John the Evangelist Church, Farsley.
St. John’s is a fine example of early Victorian church architecture and, unlike most churches of its period, has remained largely unaltered since its consecration in 1843.
An obelisk close to the church porch and seven stained glass windows within the chancel and nave commemorate the Rev. Samuel Marsden. Rev. Marsden was born in Farsley, almost opposite the church, at the site now occupied by the Samuel Marsden Memorial Garden. He was a key figure in establishing the wool trade between Australia/New Zealand and West Yorkshire. He became the first rector of the penal colony and also first incumbent of St John’s in Parramatta, Sydney (the first substantial church building in Australia).
The woollen and industrial history of Farsley can also be traced to St. John’s. Church inscriptions and records detail the births, deaths, lives and marriages of the Butler, Gaunt, Hainsworth, Roberts, Slater and Varley families, once significant local woollen mill and iron foundry owners.